Skip to main content

Featured

If the British can’t rely on the NHS, our identity is in crisis | Emma Brockes

The case of Albert Thompson being denied cancer treatment in the UK has tainted my delusional expatriate’s vision of home

Britain is smaller than the US and poorer than the US and, I have always believed, in some vague but ineffable way, “nicer” than the US – a conviction which, on examination, I find to be half-rooted in absurd notions of “fair play” and half in the concrete reality of the NHS. Perhaps, at its worst, Britain is as mercenary as the worst of capitalist America, but at least we believe in the welfare state.

I said that Britons living in the US know we can come home for NHS treatment. My dad looked alarmed

Related: Theresa May promises to look into man's £54,000 NHS cancer bill

Continue reading... March 16, 2018 at 05:30PM

Comments