Skip to main content

Featured

I was an outsourced Carillion hospital worker. Here’s what I learned | Polly Toynbee

It’s low-paid workers who pay the price of shifting state debt off the Treasury’s books. I know: I’ve seen the process at work

A while ago I worked for Carillion as a hospital porter. Or at least I worked for an agency that provided labour for Carillion – as these outsourcers always themselves outsource, to cut costs further.

When I was researching my book Hard Work, try as I might, in every single public sector job I failed to work for the public sector. Every minimum wage-level job was outsourced in the two NHS hospitals where I worked, in a primary school kitchen and in a government nursery. Austerity causes the number of public employees to keep falling. But try to find out how many apparently public employees work for these companies, and no one knows.

Continue reading... January 18, 2018 at 05:55PM

Comments