Skip to main content

Featured

‘It tears every part of your life away’: the truth about male infertility

Men are facing a fertility crisis, so why is most practical and emotional support offered to couples struggling to conceive aimed at women?

James and Davina D’Souza met and fell in love in their early 20s. They got married five years later, and three years afterwards had saved enough to buy a family home in a quiet cul-de-sac in London. Then, when Davina was 29 and James 33, they started trying for a baby.

“I knew that the moment we bought a home, we’d start a family,” Davina tells me in their living room, beside shelves crammed with framed photos of nieces, nephews, cousins and siblings. “My parents live down the road, and if I needed help to raise a child, my mum would be here.”

Male sperm counts in the western world have declined by almost 60% in 40 years

I was horrified by the lack of investigation and appropriate management of male infertility, so I started my own clinic

If any other part of your body wasn’t working properly, you’d seek advice. Slowly, those barriers are coming down

Related: ‘There was nothing wrong with my wife – it was me’: the men waking up to fertility problems

Sperm production is a more complex process to understand than the menstrual cycle, and we haven’t done enough research

Continue reading... November 18, 2017 at 03:30PM

Comments