Featured
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
A boy with leukaemia visited my lab – I had no idea what it would start
Harvey wanted to know more about what happened to his blood samples
I would like to tell you a story about a boy, a hero of mine.
Harvey Buster Baldwin was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia aged six and spent many weeks in Worthing hospital, where I worked as a biomedical scientist. As an inquisitive six-year-old he asked questions about his blood. We arranged for Harvey to visit the pathology laboratory to try and answer some of his questions. I took Harvey around the lab, showing him all the specialist equipment we use, and we looked down the microscope to see his own red cells, platelets and white cells. Harvey went away with all the answers to the questions he had been asking, and I felt like I had made a difference to this young man’s life.
Related: ‘Some see crying in front of patients as unprofessional. Most see it as being human’
Continue reading... November 02, 2017 at 05:11PM- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular Posts
Wendy Mitchell on her extraordinary Alzheimer’s memoir
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Isaiah Haastrup: doctors to withdraw life support, parents say
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment