Skip to main content

Featured

A sign of the times – even the Samaritans need help| Tom Francis

Demand for the service is so high that some people get the engaged tone when they call. We need enough people to really listen to them

Tom Francis is not my real name. My real name is the one on the front of my books. But I’ve been working as a Samaritans volunteer for the last two years. And when I’m on the phone the rest of my life is put to one side and the only thing​ ​that​ ​matters​ ​is​ ​the​ ​person​ ​on​ ​the​ ​other​ ​end​ ​of​ ​the​ ​line.

It’s often challenging. Sometimes it’s desperately sad. Sometimes it’s uplifting. Every now and then it’s very funny. It’s one of the most satisfying things I do, it’s made me a better listener and I’m now a lot more grateful for all the good things in my own life. It’s put me in contact with the most extraordinary range of people and every so often I go home after a shift knowing that someone has been helped at a crucial moment in their life by hearing me say, “Do​ ​you​ ​want​ ​to​ ​tell​ ​me​ ​a​ ​bit​ ​more​ ​about​ ​that?”

Related: Why mental health services in England are finally receiving attention

I still turn up for every shift feeling a little nervous, and I hope I always do. None of us has any idea what to expect

Related: We all need psychoanalysis – it would make Britain a happier, kinder place | Susanna Rustin

Continue reading... October 10, 2017 at 01:30PM

Comments